Favorite Tuna Recipes
Tomato Salad with Canned Tuna, Capers, and Black Olives (Serves 6)
- 4 –5 large vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice form 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 12 large black olives, such as kalamata or other brine-cured variety, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can solid white High Seas Tuna
- Core and halve tomatoes, then cut each half into 4 or 5 wedges. Toss wedges with salt in large bowl; let rest until small pool of liquid accumulates, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon juice, capers, olives, onion, parsley, and pepper to taste in small bowl. Our mixture over tomatoes and accumulated liquid; toss to coat. Set aside to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble tuna over tomatoes; toss to combine, Adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
Curried Tuna Salad with Apples and Currants (Makes about 2 cups/4 sandwiches)
- 2 (6-ounce) cans solid white High Seas Tuna
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small rib celery, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 apple, firm and juicy, cut in 1/4-inch dice (about
- 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustar
Drain tuna in colander and shred with fingers until no clumps remain and texture is fine and even. Transfer tuna to medium bowl and mix in lemon juice, salt, pepper, celery, onion, apple, currants, and basil until evenly blended. Mix curry powder into mayonnaise and mustard and fold in until tuna is evenly moistened. (Can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.)
Deviled Eggs with Tuna, Capers, and Chives (Makes 1 Dozen Filled Egg Halves)
- 7 large eggs (cold)
- 2 ounces canned High Seas Tuna, drained and finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
- 3/4 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Table salt and ground black pepper
If all of your egg white halves are in perfect shape, discard two. During testing we found it usual for a couple to rip at least slightly, which worked out well because it meant the remaining whites were very well stuffed. If you have a pastry bag, you can use it to fill the eggs with a large open-star tip or a large plain tip, If not, follow the direction below to improvise with a zipper-lock plastic bag.
Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with 1 quart cold water and about 14 ice cubes (one tray). Transfer eggs to ice water with slotted spoon; let sit 5 minutes.
Peel eggs and slice each in half lengthwise with paring knife. Remove yolks to small bowl. Arrange whites on serving platter, discarding two worst-looking halves. Mash yolks with fork until no large lumps remain. Add tuna, capers, 2 teaspoons chives, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste; mix with rubber spatula, mashing mixture against side of bowl until smooth.
Fit pastry bag with large open-star tip. Fill bag with yolk mixture, twisting top of pastry bag to help push mixture toward tip of bag. Pipe yoke mixture into egg white halves, mounding filling about 1/2 inch above flat surface of whites. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon chives and serve immediately.
STEP BY STEP: Filling the Eggs
If you don’t own a pastry bag, spoon the yolk mixture into a sealable plastic bag. Snip a small piece form one corner of the bag. Then gently squeeze the filling through the hole into the egg halves.
Tomato Basil Tortilla Rolls (Makes 3-4 rolls)
By Paulette Brown
- 2 –(6 ounce cans) solid white High Seas Tuna
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tbsp. Salsa
- 1 tbsp. Fresh cilantro (finally chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. Ground cumin
- 3 or 4 tomato basil tortillas
- Drain tuna into a small bowl.
- Combine softened cream cheese, salsa, cilantro and cumin, mix well
- Crumble tuna into mixture and mix well
- Spread about 3 tbsp of tuna mixture over tortilla. Roll each up tightly and add some filling to the ends, wrap individually with plastic wrap, Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Slice into bite size pieces and serve